Shopping online is a great way to save time and money—especially during the holidays. It’s also a great time to remember how to protect yourself against fraud and scams, which can become more prevalent during the holiday season. Here’s how to keep your information safe.
- Use a strong password: A strong password is one of the most important ways to protect you against hackers. Create a password that contains both capital and lower case letters, as well as numbers, and special characters. Tip: Use a memorable short sentence with capitalization and punctuation rather than a single word.
- Only shop at reputable online stores: Exercise caution when making purchases from little-known websites to make sure the site is legitimate and has a history of satisfied customers. Before entering your personal information or credit card data, make sure the URL starts with an “https” instead of “http” to ensure the site is secure. Also look for the lock symbol by the web address bar, which indicates a website has been verified as secure.
- Monitor account activity with online and mobile banking: Use online and mobile banking to monitor your accounts. That way, if you spot suspicious or unusual account activity, you can notify us immediately and prevent further fraud.
- Be wary of phishing scams: Phishing scams often involve emails or text messages that appear to come from a bank or retailer who say your account has been limited or fraudulent activity has been detected on your account. The email may ask you to confirm your account or personal information by clicking a link. But doing so may cause your personal information to be collected. Your best bet is to avoid clicking links in emails or texts that seem suspicious or out-of-the-ordinary.
- Donate only to legitimate charities: During the holiday season, many people are inspired to give to those in need. Before you donate to a charity, research its authenticity by visiting charitynavigator.org, charitywatch.org, or give.org.
- RCU’s Zero Liability Guarantee: RCU is committed to ensuring the safety and security of your accounts and information through our Zero Liability Guarantee. We guarantee when using RCU’s digital services or payment cards (credit or debit), you will not be held responsible for unauthorized removal of funds.
To read more about how RCU protects your security, visit redwoodcu.org/security.