This holiday season, try to shop locally whenever possible. The personal touch you get with a local retailer feels good at this hectic time of year and it helps to keep tax dollars in the community, supporting infrastructure such as roads, education, and fire services. Here are just a few ideas:
- Black Friday – If you still have family and friends in town, wandering your downtown area together the day after Thanksgiving can be fun.
- Local farms – Here in California, we have easy access to fresh, local fruits and veggies, even in the city. Go to www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets and enter your zip code at top to find a market near you.
- Local meat – Meat purveyors, too, abound in our area. When entertaining this year, serve homegrown meat for better flavor and the knowledge that you’re supporting local farmers. Whole Foods sources local meat, as does Oliver's Market in Sonoma County.
- Local wine, beer, and spirits – These are the businesses pouring drinks for free at your local fundraisers. Give them a holiday boost and pick up a bottle or two for entertaining.
- GoLocal – GoLocal Sonoma County and GoLocal Mendonoma Coast have programs that promote local businesses. Other communities offer similar resources such as DoNapa (the downtown Napa association) and Shop Local Novato in Marin.
By supporting local entrepreneurs, you’re helping to make your community a better place to live during the holidays and all year round!