Flavorful feasts take center stage during the holidays but making and serving holiday treats can be costly! Here are five tips for festive and budget-friendly entertaining.
1. Compare prices and shop where items you need cost less. Check out sales and coupons in weekly newspaper ads and use a helpful grocery-shopping app, if you’re so inclined.
2. Buy generic rather than brand-name items and save up to 50%! Also, buy bulk spices rather than those in jars, purchase store-brand alcohol, and save 30-50% by purchasing a frozen rather than fresh turkey.
3. Purchase less ingredients by planning menus around items you already have and choosing recipes that use similar ingredients.
4. Go potluck when possible. Make the main course and have guests bring side dishes, dessert, and beverages.
5. Pare down the party. Host a smaller gathering with less appetizers and side dishes. Start a new, more economical tradition by serving a feast of family favorites like pizza or tacos.