DMV Resources

DMV Resources

  • Overview
  • Title/Registration
  • Occupational Licensing
  • Education

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) oversees the licensing of drivers and registering of vehicles in California. They also provide licensing and regulation for driving schools, traffic schools, vehicle manufacturers, transporters, dealers, distributors, vehicle salespeople, and dismantlers.  On this and the tabs that follow, you can find information on a variety of topics, such as:

  • Title/Registration
    • Transferring Ownership
    • Registering a Car
    • Smog Inspection
  • Occupational Licensing
    • Traffic Schools
    • Driving Schools
    • Dealerships
    • Registration Services
  • Education
    • What to do when buying a car from a private party
    • How do I get a Driver’s License or Permit
    • What restrictions could I have on a driver’s license
    • What do I do when I get a ticket
    • What do I do if I am involved in a traffic collision

The California DMV has a wealth of valuable resources available to help inform drivers and vehicle owners of their responsibilities.

Whether you are buying or selling a car, registering your vehicle from out of state, or gifting it to a loved one, the California DMV has several requirements you must meet to complete your transaction.  The links below will help get you to the information you need.

Ownership Change

Learn how to change ownership whether you buy, sell, transfer, or give a vehicle to another party.

Vehicle Registration Renewals

Get information on vehicle registration renewal or access the online registration renewal system. 

Smog Requirements

Find out when a smog inspection is required, who is responsible for it when a car is sold, or check the Bureau of Automotive Repair to view the smog history of a vehicle. 

Disabled Person Parking Placards or Plates

Apply for a disabled person parking placard or plates or get a replacement. 

Commercial Vehicle Information

Learn more about the California DMV’s requirements regarding fees, fines, vehicle weights and operation.  

Occupational Licensing (OL) is responsible for licensing and monitoring a wide range of motor vehicle related businesses and individuals.  The California DMV has created a searchable Occupational License Status Information System to provide additional information on these businesses.  

Businesses listed in the Occupational License Status Information System include:

  • ATV Schools
  • Dismantlers
  • Distributors
  • Driving Schools
  • Lessor-Retailers
  • Manufacturers
  • Mature Driving Programs
  • Registration Services
  • Remanufacturers
  • Traffic Schools
  • Traffic Violator Schools
  • Transporters
  • Vehicle Dealers (including Autobrokers)
  • Vessel Agents

Join RCU Today

RCU Logo


Get started now

Join Now OR Check Status

If you're interested in opening a Business, Trust, or other type of account, please visit your nearest branch.

Redwood Credit Union serves anyone living, working or owning a business in California’s Northern Bay Area, which includes the counties of Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Mendocino, Lake, San Francisco, Contra Costa and Solano. We look forward to serving you!

Choose Account Type

RCU Logo


Choose the Type of Account You Wish to Open

Personal  Youth

Already Started?

To complete your application, log in

If you're interested in opening a Business, Trust, or other type of account, please visit your nearest branch.

Login Help

Need Help Logging in to RCU Online?

If you’ve forgotten your RCU Online banking Username, password, or other login information, follow the directions below to get help now.

Sign up today for RCU Online banking.

enroll now

Still need help?

Contact our Member Service Center at 1 (800) 479-7928, Monday through Friday from 7am to 8pm or Saturday from 8am to 5pm PST.