As the holidays near, thoughts of gratitude and “giving back” move top of mind. Along with gift giving and shared appreciation for family and friends, it can be fulfilling (and fun!) to surprise a stranger or someone in need with a random act of kindness.
Consider these simple, inexpensive ways to make someone’s day.
- Give a Drive-Thru Surprise. Pay for the order of the driver behind you at your favorite drive-thru establishment (toll booths, too).
- Be a Big Tipper. Treat your restaurant server to a surprisingly generous tip. No extra cash to spare? Leave a kind note of thanks or well wishes on your receipt as an unexpected treat.
- Pamper Homeless Pets. Volunteer some time to pet, hug, and whisper sweet somethings to four-legged friends at your local animal shelter.
- Spend Time with Seniors. Visit a nursing home to give some lonely elders the gift of your good company.
- Sign Up for Amazon Smile. Shop through smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com so a portion or your purchases are automatically donated to your favorite charity.
- Pass Out Gift Cards. Keep a handy supply of gift cards and pass them out whenever the urge strikes. (It’s the thought that counts, not the card’s amount.)
- Remember Military and Service Personnel. Donate or volunteer through Operation Gratitude to help
boost the morale of deployed service personnel at home and abroad, veterans, wounded heroes, caregivers, military families, and local first responders. Just a $15 donation helps send personalized care packages near and far.