What are fake check scams?
Check scams can take many forms:
- You unexpectedly receive notice that you are getting a grant from the government or a foundation and a processing fee is required.
- A company hires you to work at home as a mystery shopper or processing payments and instructs you to send money somewhere as part of the job.
- Someone sends you more than the asking price for an item you are selling and instructs you to wire the extra money somewhere else.
- A stranger sends part of the profits you were promised in a foreign business deal and asks you to pay legal fees to get the rest.
- Someone you meet online asks you to cash a check or money order as a favor.
There is no legitimate reason why anyone would give you a check or money order and ask you to send money anywhere in return. Fraud is constantly evolving, so be on guard for anything that seems suspicious. Protect yourself and learn more with these tips from the Consumer Federation of America.
Visit our Security Center to learn more about fraud, with information about the latest scams and how you can take an active role in safeguarding your information!